Monday, August 17, 2009

Weekend worrier

This weekend we sat out in midday sun and watched David's first game, then packed up Tommy and put him in his dorm at UAB. It was an interesting exercise in sunburn, traffic management and stair climbing. I sure enjoyed having a keg to come home to after all that hot work.

090801 Geordie Boy

I laid down another batch of the grits recipe for northern brown ale on Sunday. I found I was out of chocolate malt (well, I had 1 oz and needed 4) but I compensated with a little extra roasted barley and some 80L crystal malt. I hope it works. The pre-boil volume was higher than planned but not dramatically so, coming in at 7 gallons, so the pre-hop boil-down wasn't too long. The gravity was right on target this time at 1.044. I pitched one of the two containers of washed yeast from 090702 into it, we'll see how it goes. It's in one of the new Better Bottle primaries.

Tapped: 090502 Honey-Brew List

This beer actually turned out all right. It still has a noticeable spice aftertaste but it is so far toned down from the original it's like an extra-strong Blue Moon. It's drinkable but I can see that this would be really good with a smaller coriander addition. I don't think it will ever be my favorite but it's a nice change of pace from brown ale for a pint or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment